JOHN FARR Plumbing & Heating | Licensed Plumber |

What to Do About Work Without Permit Violations

work without permit violations removal document
image of a work without permit type violation

Have you recently received a work without permit violation? These permits are issued when upgrades to certain systems in the building and on the building are performed without a permit on file with the Department of Buildings in NYC. While this may have been an oversight on the part of your contractor, the ramifications are serious. When you have work performed on your building without the appropriate permits on file, all of the work is considered illegal.

Fines for Work Without Permit Violations

The fines associated with work without permit violations can range between $600 and $15,000.

  • 1 and 2 Family Dwellings – $600 to $10,000
  • Every Other Type of Building – $6,000 to $15,000

When is a work without permit violation most likely to occur?

Work without permit violations in NYC are most likely to occur for plumbing upgrades, like adding a second bathroom or another water fixture. Permits are not needed to perform simple repairs, like fixing a leak. The reason you received a work without permit violation is that no one got a permit for the work being performed. This typically happens when the contractor isn’t licensed or you accidentally hired a handyman instead of a licensed plumber.

How to resolve your work without a permit violation

1. Read your violation. This will tell you the date, time and address where the work without a permit violation was discovered, and it will tell you what work was performed without a permit.
2. If you do not have a hard copy of your violation, meaning you found it on the building violations website for NYC, print a copy. You need to be able to show your plumber or other licensed contractor the violation.
3. Hire a licensed master plumber or other licensed contractor that can pull the appropriate permit and double-check that the work was performed up to code.
4. Have the violations corrected in a timely manner and in accordance with the building codes of New York.
5. Fill out and submit a Certificate of Corrections. You must do this in order to tell the NYC Department of Buildings that your violation was corrected.
6. Determine whether you agree with the violation or if you will contest it. Either way, you must attend your court hearing or send someone to attend for you.
7. If you received fines or penalties for the violation, you will need to pay them.
8. Once you’ve completed all these tasks, all you have to do is wait for your Certification of Correction to be approved by the NYC Department of Buildings.

getting Your Work Without a Permit Plumbing Violation Solved

If your work without a permit violation occurred due to a plumbing upgrade or addition, contact John Farr. He is a licensed master plumber that focuses on solving building violations that revolve around gas and water plumbing issues. He has more than 30 years of experience in correcting plumbing violations. 

To reach him, please call 917-324-2535. He is available 24/7 to fix your plumbing violations.